Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Son of a Bolivian Diplomat


Gustavo is the son of Bolivian Diplomats and an experienced accountant. He has lived in 10 countries throughout his life and was very happy to not have to move ever again, as NY was now and his permanent home. As he paid for his meal he discreetly asked the waiter for my bill. He paid for mine and his, he also instructed me to enjoy the city and my life.

A few moments after meeting Gustavo I hailed cab. The cab driver was a young man of Afghan decent, born and raised in Queens NY since the age of 2. He is a medical student and currently on a summer break from school. He drives a cab and works the occasional odd job to pay for his tuition. We spoke about the frustration of traffic jams, the frustration of dealing with yuppies, and the privilege of living in a city where the ethnic demographic is vast and the benefits of living exposed to that. When we arrived at my destination he first refused payment for the cab fare and immediately took said fare off the meter, I insisted that I pay so he knocked 1/3 off. I thanked him and gave him a little extra for the tuition fund.